Sumner County Jail
LK Architecture provided full master planning, architectural/engineering services as well as detention, electronic security, food service and operational systems design for the new 129 bed Sumner County Law Enforcement and Detention Center. The facility site is planned to accommodate multiple future law enforcement and detention facility additions up to 324 beds and a future judicial center.
The facility was designed as a secure, cost-effective and attractive indirect supervision detention complex that provides maximum flexibility in classification, gender, work release and visiting inmate incarceration that meets the adult detention facility standards of the American Corrections Association.
Of the many unique building features, the master control center is the single most exclusive building component in the facility providing for maximum observation control with minimal staff requirements. It provides for 360 degree direct observation of the intake area, visitation, public lobby, law enforcement corridor, work release and housing corridors, as well as the medical and administrative segregation cells and inmate access. Additionally, there are sub control centers at both the booking desk and the upper level housing control “crow’s nest” center which can be controlled remotely.
Law Enforcement Detention Features
- Sheriff’s offices & training facilities
- Dormitories, restrooms, showers, locker rooms, offices, secure storage areas, multi-purpose training rooms
- 8 acre site with lake and native landscaping/natural wildlife area
- Master planned for multiple expansions up to 324 beds and future county services building
- Indirect supervision detention facility
- 125 beds with multiple classification housing including: max, med, min, iso, trustee, work release, men/women
- Master control room with direct observation into all wings of the facility
- Full booking/intake service area and full service kitchen and laundry
- 4 bay drive thru vehicle sallyport
- Secure outdoor compound & services
- Designed as a secondary emergency services command post for the county
- Includes underground and wireless communications capabilities as well full service uninterruptible power
- The pre-cast concrete and double reinforced masonry structure-both security and severe weather protection
Sumner County, KS
80,000 SF total